Some women spend hundreds of dollars at their salon for the most expensive haircuts, devoting hours of their time each day to styling. Other women wear their hair in the lowest-maintenance style to cut down on time and energy. Regardless of your hairstyling tendencies, keep in mind that you change clothes all the time — but that you wear your hair every single day. Great hair doesn’t have to require a great amount of money or time; it only requires a desire to learn about how to take care of it properly. Here you’ll find comprehensive resources on the web to help you add a little flare to your hair whether you like it long, short, or braided. Check out some of the web’s best hair-care tips and tricks to save you time and money. Get your hair questions answered about different hair styles, natural dyes, hair growth patterns, and overall beauty maintenance of those lovely locks.
When women want a change the first thing that often comes to mind is to cut or dye their hair. While many sources recommend a new shade of lipstick or nail polish, nothing makes you feel quite like a new person than changing your hairstyle. See the inner you that’s been hiding on someone else’s head; check out a huge selection of photos of different hairstyles, haircuts*, and hair colors. Looking through pictures of different hairstyles can help you decide what look you think is best for you.
* Find out your face shape and which hair cuts best flatter your features.
- Hair Boutique’s Gallery of Styles – Look through over 6000 pictures of different hairstyles for varying textures and lengths
- Fancy Up-Dos – The Bridal Beauty Salon showcases its most popular up and down styles, ideal for especially formal occasions
- Short Hairstyle Gallery – Browse 200 pictures of short hair styles, organized by gallery from pixie cuts to softer feminine styles
- More Short Hairstyles – 44 pictures of hair inspiration; celebrities’ short hairstyles
- Long Hairstyle Gallery – Look through hundreds of different ways to wear long hair, including a how-to style guide for each look
- Dressy Short Hairstyles – A list of fun ideas on how to make short hair more interesting
- Natural Hairstyles – Picture gallery of natural and relaxed styles of black hair including twists, curls, braids and up-dos
- Virtual Hairstyler - Try on 1000s of hairstyles, 50 colors and 35 highlights with your own uploaded photo
- Permed Hairstyles – Perms have evolved far beyond the 80′s styles — look through pictures of different variations of perms, from loose waves to spiral curls
- Layered Hairstyles – Check out different types of layering for different lengths of hair by looking through this collection of layered hairstyles
- Dressy Ponytails – How have celebrities dressed up the classic ponytail? Look here for some serious ponytail inspiration
- Braided Styles – A small, but creative list of ways to incorporate twists and braids into everyday hair styles
- Hairstyle Design – Galleries of short, medium, long, bridal, and celebrity hair styles
If you’re bored when you look in the mirror, perhaps it’s time to experiment a little with braids, twists, pins, or curls. As tempting as it may be to throw your hair into a quick ponytail, there are so many hairstyles out there that take less than five minutes and are much more glamorous, or casual, or eye-catching. A new twist or braid can completely change your appearance. Challenge yourself to try one new style a week. Browse these easy-to-follow tutorials that show you how to do everything from fancy but basic styles, to red-carpet jaw-droppers, and find some new inspiration for that next dull Monday morning.
- Romantic up-do - Inspired by Taylor Swift’s romantic Love Story hair; quick enough for any rushed morning
- Blow Dry Bangs – A quick how-to on blow drying bangs/fringe without styling products
- Fishtail Braid – Also known as the Herringbone braid, an easy-to-follow guide to this popular braid
- Waterfall Braid – A softer, easier version of the classic french braid
- Boho Side Braid – A cute variation to spice up the messy side braid
- Grow Out Your Bangs Fashionably – List of tips to still look fabulous while growing out bangs
- Fake a Bob – Twist up your long hair and achieve a bob look without scissors
- Summery Hair Twists – Perfect twisted styles for parties or lazy summer barbecues
- Braided up-do – A tutorial for a elegant braided bun inspired by Jessica Alba
- Fake Bangs: no scissors required – Don’t cut your hair just yet; learn how to experiment with non-existent bangs
- Ribbon Braid – A colorful twist on the french braid with ribbons
- Hair Twist – Read tips of how to achieve the runway hair twists that keep showing up on models’ heads
- Loose, Bouncy Curls – A guide to achieving hair inspired by the Victoria’s Secret Angel’s tousled curls
- Perfect Blowout – Tips on products and techniques to get the perfect, long lasting blowout
Hair Care Advice
Taking care of your hair can be as easy as washing and conditioning, but things like heat styling, excessive brushing, tight hairstyles, or damaging chemicals can create a need for some tender lover and care every once in a while. Regardless of your hair’s health, it can almost always benefit from a good mask, rinse, or conditioner. There are many easy and inexpensive tips and tricks to keep your hair looking and behaving fabulously.
- Black Hair Care – Tips on how to wear and take care of natural and relaxed black hair, braids, extensions, twists, and dreadlocks
- Curly Girl Method – A how-to guide to taking care of curly hair by eliminating sulfates and silicone hair products
- Organic, DIY Conditioners, Lotions, and Treatments – A large, comprehensive collection of easy hair recipes from ingredients you probably already have in your pantry
- Natural Hair Dyes – Learn how to make your own natural hair dyes for healthy, chemical-free, all natural hair color
- Natural Hair Dye – Red – Everything you’ve ever wanted to know about henna, a popular and healthy alternative to red hair dyes
- Natural Hair Dye – Black – A guide to indigo, a safe herb to achieve dark brown or jet black hair color without destroying your hair
- Natural Hair Dye – Blonde – Information on the most curious of natural peroxides: honey, and how it can highlight and lighten your hair
- Types of Hair Brushes – Are you using the right type of brush for your hair and styling?
- 8 Deep Conditioners Get Put to the Test – 8 store brand conditioners get tested by everyday women. See which one out-conditioned the rest
- Oiling your Hair – Learn about the long-used and long-loved technique for keeping your hair strong, shiny, and healthy
- Long Hair Care Tips – Long hair requires different care from short hair. Check out some handy tips on how to keep it growing long and strong
- Beauty-id’s Tips for Great Hair – A basic guide to taking care of your hair
- Taking Care of Color-Treated Hair – Hair dye can wreak havoc on the quality of the hair. Learn the best way to keep your hair in prime condition
- Hair Care for Teens – As hormones and changes occur, webMD provides information on hair care for teenagers
- The Danger of a Brazilian Blow Out – The FDA weighs in on the popular straightening technique
- Does Your Hair need Protein or Moisture? Protein masks, conditioning treatments – which one does your hair need?
Growing your Hair
Whether you find yourself growing out a pixie cut, recovering from a big chop, or suffering from over-processing, these articles can help you grow your hair out in the best way to keep your hair strong, shiny, healthy, and beautiful.
- Tips to Grow Hair – A how-to guide to growing your hair out with recipes, tips, and tricks
- Top 10 Tips for Healthy Hair – For a quick guide to healthy hair, check out Long Locks’ Top 10 tips
- Hair Life Cycle – Why and when does your hair fall out? Find out the down-low on hair growth
- Maximize Hair Growing – Certain factors can inhibit hair growth. Find out how to bypass them
- Pillowcases and Hair Breakage – Can your pillowcase be the culprit behind hair breakage?
- What Foods to Eat for Hair Health – How to change your diet to help your hair grow
- Grow Your Natural Hair – A guide to natural hair and tips for growing natural curl
- Grow Long Hair – For those looking to grow long hair: waist-length, knee-length